Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: September 17, 2005

---------

From: Marybeth Bortzfield (zbort_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 17:18:08 PDT

Clean up with little ones-

Warnings of 5 minutes to clean-up. Not that they have any
concept of what 5 minutes is but they know clean up is coming soon.

Games are always successful, countdown 1-10 and I always
throw in a 8&1/2, 8&3/4, and so on. This gets tricky because some
tend to run and rush through and that does not work.
I play "I spy a pencil on the floor" or whatever and that tends to work
really well.

I really like my new system which I have implemented this year;
I have six tables with 4 stools to a table.
This year I ordered new stools and I painted the top of one from each table
either a primary or secondary color. The students are assigned seats and
the
stool rotates around the table each week. This indicates if you are a
helper to set up and mangage
clean up. Also I have a sign on the blackboard "This week's table helpers"
underneath
I have printed color circles that have a magnet on the back. This also
changes each week
and it indicates the art room police. The color table of that week is in
charge of making sure
the supply table and cabinet are neat and things are put away correctly.
This manages the room by itself instead of me always asking 'who hasn't had
a job yet?'