[teacherartexchange] Artist movie recc.

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 11:08:10 PDT

This weekend my boyfriend and I watched "Chi-Hwa-Seon:
Painted Fire" from Netflix. It is based on the legend
of a great painter in late 1800's Korea. Painting was
a pursuit of the aristocracy, and he was a genius
street urchin trying to find his own way. The usual
alcohol and sex that seems to pervade most artist film
bios, but still very interesting and visually
exceptional. It was so interesting to get a look at
the culture surrounding painting at that time. The
artist's continual wanderings and observations of
nature are very beautifully filmed. It was all very
very enjoyable for us.

My favorite conversation in the film refers to what
makes a painting a forgery, even if it was done by the
artist in question.