Re: [teacherartexchange] 1st grade clean up: I need some tips!

---------

From: Holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 18 2005 - 17:45:25 PDT

For cleanup (and also for getting supplies, etc.), I have the students at
each table work together as a team. They are ALL responsible for cleaning
up. They need to cooperate together to decide who will do what tasks (I let
them know what specifically needs to be done for cleanup--ex., put markers
on the counter, etc.) For cleaning brushes--I have students clean their own
brushes using the water containers at their tables. Only one person from
each table will then empty those containers. And so on. It teaches the
kids to be responsible and learn to work together. At times I need to help
some tables figure out how to accomplish this, but, amazingly, not very
often. When it is time to clean up, I get the students' attention, then say
it is clean-up time, and state what needs to be done. Then I say, "I am
looking for tables ready to line up." The first table that is cleaned up
will be the first table I call to line up. (Being the first table to line up
always seems to be an incentive.) They always need to have their tables
ready, and push their chairs in and stand behind them. I use this system
for all my classes, grades K-3.

In the past, I used to assign table helpers, give out points and awards,
popcorn parties,etc. etc. I determined that this was way too much work for
me. Having the kids take on the responsibility is less work for me, plus I
think it is a great learning opportunity for them--and they feel good about
the responsibility.

Mary H.