[teacherartexchange] NAEA Releases 6th Art Education Classic

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 16 2005 - 13:39:41 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

NAEA RELEASES SIXTH
ART EDUCATION CLASSIC

Instant Art, Instant Culture:
The Unspoken Policy for American Schools

By Laura H. Chapman

An art education classic, Instant Art, Instant Culture: The Unspoken Policy
for American Schools originally printed over 25 years ago, is the sixth in
NAEA's archival series to make available out-of-print texts to members and for
library art education collections.

"NAEA's mission is to be a repository of knowledge," said NAEA President
Susan Gabbard, "and this member benefit provides a quality service to the field.
We are grateful to Professor Laura H. Chapman for her generous donation to the
Association and the opportunity to be a caretaker for art education
literature. The goal is to make these texts available to our members, library
collections, and the profession. It is a unique member benefit few
associations offer."

"The biggest problem we face in art education is the belief held by many
Americans that education in art is not really essential for all children." So
asserts Laura H. Chapman in Instant Art, Instant Culture: The Unspoken
Policy for
American Schools, an engrossing critical commentary on the status of the
visual, performing, and literary arts in our nation's elementary and secondary
schools.

Dr. Chapman critically examines the reasons for the token educational
programs many schools offer in all the arts, including music, dance,
and theater, but with particular emphasis on the visual arts. She
writes with conviction on
the importance of effecting change in attitudes and school practices that
actually prevent many children from studying arts on a regular basis.

Chapman devotes much of the book to providing suggestions for improving
school instruction in the arts. Among the topics covered are:

o What should be taught in an arts program and who should teach it
o why a school curriculum should include the arts, sciences, and humanities
as core subjects for all students
o how to improve teacher education programs
o what models for change have been suggested by various panels and federal
groups, and how effective they would be

School administrators, board members, curriculum directors, legislators,
supporters of the arts, elementary and secondary school teachers, art educators,
college students taking courses in art education, and parents will find the
policy issues addressed in this book to be highly significant.

Other texts in The NAEA Archival Collection are:

No. 269 Aesthetics And Criticism In Art Education (508 pgs.) By Ralph Smith.
$25.00; Member price is $20.00.
No. 282 Art & Ethnics (147 pgs) by J. Eugene Grigsby Jr. $25.00; Member price
$20.00
No. 237 Understanding Children's Art for Better Teaching (259 pages) by
Betty Lark-Horovitz, HildaPresent Lewis, Mark Luca. $25.00; Member price $20.00
No. 270 Becoming Human Through Art (389 pages) by Edmund Burke Feldman.
$25.00; Member price is $20.00.
No. 266 Educating Artistic Vision (306 pages) by Elliot Eisner. $25.00;
Member price is $20.00.

Order No. 247
INSTANT ART, INSTANT CULTURE
224 pages {2005)