Re:[teacherartexchange] Multiple Levels

---------

bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Sep 15 2005 - 07:08:29 PDT

I have taught many multiple levels in one class. I teach an Art2/4 class
and an Art2/3/a.p. class. We needed to do this because of a.p. classes that
conflict and singleton classes. I found that the students will let you do
more than one thing in the room if you explain the situation. The younger
ones can also benefit from slides and discussions with the more advanced
students. I am not preparing more because I teach all the subjects
anyway. This would be bad except they made one of my combo's a smaller
class of 28. I usually have 34-36. They (students) have been great and
will be quiet when I am speaking to the other class. I try to tell each
area (or class) what to do, and the expectations for the day and do
demonstrations (sometimes three). Because I have 95 minutes, I am able to
do it all but I am rushing around. After having a stoke this is probably
not the best for me, unless you think that I'll be using my brain more and
it will help in my recovery.

The kids that are in my split classes are very good and they are well
behaved because I try to let them know I care and will get to them each
day. I agree that I have let this happen and its my own fault and I should
not do this, but I have and now I am stuck with it. I will do my best.
The students are appreciative and I get support from the administration if
I should have any problems. I know it is not easy but if you have the
right students it can work out fine.

Ken Schwab
bicyclken@earthlink.net
http://room3art.com

Study
> within one period. Once you learn your kids and figure out their needs it
> really isn't a big deal. I could have said no early on to teaching
multiple
> levels, but then those kids would never get to take more advanced classes
-
> one class and they'd be done due to our small school & my limited time.
> ~Michal
> K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
> http://www.geocities.com/theartkids
>

> > Teaching multiple classes within a period is what I have been asked to
do
> > this year. I have been told that this is normal for a HS art teacher.
Is