RE: [teacherartexchange] teaching multiple classes

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 15 2005 - 04:58:15 PDT

San D and others,

The alternative is not to just say "no". The alternative is to say "no" and
have parents and supportive individudals contact the administration, the PTA,
school board and lodge complaints until the school provides for these students
so you can say yes. You would be perfectly willing to teach the class given
the right conditions. There are very large issues at stake here that go beyond
the immediate. Our professional integrity and the survival of our programs. I
say advocate for what is needed. In the long run, you and your students will
be better off. If you want to continue to do this, make sure that parents,
administrators, etc. know that this is at a great price to you and other
students. By making a commitment like this to your students and parents, I
believe this sends the message that it is okay with you and it sends a message
to other art teachers they should do the same...I believe it is time for us to
step aside from the "rescue" and "savior" mentality that many art teachers find
so personally rewarding. We must resist this idea that we are somehow saving
and rescuing people...and put aside our own needs to be seen as someones hero
to fight for the larger issue. We do not serve our profession effectively to
continue to put up with such conditions. For way too long we have put up with
this kind of bad policy from schools.

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory
Director, Undergraduate & Graduate