Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on getty.edu! GettyGames

RE: [teacherartexchange] teaching multiple classes

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 15 2005 - 02:41:23 PDT


Ideally, yes, the school broke the covenant, however in reality if I say no,
those few students will NOT have the experience of the advanced class. The
alternative is that they will NOT follow through and get into art schools.
That is my reality. Without a teacher (and their peers both beginning and
advanced) they will not be motivated to work to their full potential,
because quite frankly they don't know how, and are easily distracted, etc,
etc, (my job as a mentor/teacher is to show them, encourage them, critique
them...and the Foundations classes help, join in and learn as well). My
advanced students act as a catalyst to the Foundations students as well. My
committment to students who actively "choose" art is total in that I will
not "drop" them because it doesn't fit into the structure of the day...to
some art class is their lifeline. Over my 30 years I have guaranteed
students and their parents a slot in the school of their choice, and haven't
failed them yet. Just like the making of art doesn't stop in a given "time
period" in school, so is my committment to students. (Oh, and believe me I
am just as frazzled as everyone else with multiple classes, but I don't
agree with the alternative..."just say no".)

San D

-----Original Message-----
From: Diane C. Gregory [mailto:dianegregory@grandecom.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 10:21 PM
To: TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group
Subject: Re: [teacherartexchange] teaching multiple classes

Interesting point of view. I would say that the school has broken their
covenant with the students. I would not say that you have broken a covenant
with the students. It is the school that is responsible to provide for the
needs of students. Not the teacher. I understand that you would want to
provide for your students. Also consider that by agreeing to offer a
combined
class, you are in some ways agreeing with the policy. There is then no
incentive for the school to offer separate advanced classes for these
students.
 Raise the issue with the school board and the PTA. Whatever you do, please
do
not consider that if you say no, that you have somehow been at fault. After
all the students in your beginning class need your full attention, as well.
For too long, art teachers have put up with too many unreasonable demands.
It
is time to say no. When you say no, it will become clear who is responsible
for the situation. It is definately not the teacher! :-)

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory
Director, Undergraduate & Graduate
Studies in Art Education
Texas Woman's University
Denton, TX  76204
dgregory@mail.twu.edu
940-898-2540
Quoting KPRS2 <kprs2@earthlink.net>:
> Over the years I have taught multiple classes in one classroom, less so
now
> that I am no longer the only art teacher in the school. When you are the
> only art teacher, and make a committment to your students to follow
through
> with them (i.e. art 1, 2, 3, 4) you have to make a decision as to whether
> you want to offer them the next level when there is only a handful of
them.
> If you say "NO", then in essence you have broke your covenant with your
> students. It is DEFINITELY not ideal, and is DEFINITELY stressful. No
> question about it. I let my students know right up front, that this
> situation is because "they" are not going to hire anyone to teach only a
> handful of students in the next level, and it is either this way or no
way.
> Right now I have 2 classes that are mixed. Why? My choice to have two
> students mixed into two of my Foundations classes to, in effect, take the
> advanced class. I teach AP Art History the same time slot as the advanced
> class is running (which this year is being taught by one of my ex-students
> who returned as an art teacher). I am giving these 4 students the
> opportunity to avail themselves to the advanced class and the AP Art
History
> class, two classes they need to strengthen their art portfolios/knowledge.
> It's my committment to them.
>
> San D
>
>
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to
> http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html
>
>
---
To unsubscribe go to
http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html
---
To unsubscribe go to 
http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html