Re: [teacherartexchange] teaching multiple classes

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 19:20:55 PDT

Interesting point of view. I would say that the school has broken their
covenant with the students. I would not say that you have broken a covenant
with the students. It is the school that is responsible to provide for the
needs of students. Not the teacher. I understand that you would want to
provide for your students. Also consider that by agreeing to offer a combined
class, you are in some ways agreeing with the policy. There is then no
incentive for the school to offer separate advanced classes for these students.
 Raise the issue with the school board and the PTA. Whatever you do, please do
not consider that if you say no, that you have somehow been at fault. After
all the students in your beginning class need your full attention, as well.
For too long, art teachers have put up with too many unreasonable demands. It
is time to say no. When you say no, it will become clear who is responsible
for the situation. It is definately not the teacher! :-)

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory
Director, Undergraduate & Graduate