[teacherartexchange] teaching multiple classes

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 18:40:56 PDT

Over the years I have taught multiple classes in one classroom, less so now
that I am no longer the only art teacher in the school. When you are the
only art teacher, and make a committment to your students to follow through
with them (i.e. art 1, 2, 3, 4) you have to make a decision as to whether
you want to offer them the next level when there is only a handful of them.
If you say "NO", then in essence you have broke your covenant with your
students. It is DEFINITELY not ideal, and is DEFINITELY stressful. No
question about it. I let my students know right up front, that this
situation is because "they" are not going to hire anyone to teach only a
handful of students in the next level, and it is either this way or no way.
Right now I have 2 classes that are mixed. Why? My choice to have two
students mixed into two of my Foundations classes to, in effect, take the
advanced class. I teach AP Art History the same time slot as the advanced
class is running (which this year is being taught by one of my ex-students
who returned as an art teacher). I am giving these 4 students the
opportunity to avail themselves to the advanced class and the AP Art History
class, two classes they need to strengthen their art portfolios/knowledge.
It's my committment to them.

San D