[teacherartexchange] 1st grade clean up: I need some tips!

---------

From: marcia (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 13 2005 - 18:27:57 PDT

I am now teaching elementary this year after teaching
middle school for 3 1/2 years. So far, I am enjoying
it. It is a big change from middle school!

All of my classes are going okay and the kids are
following directions pretty well, except for one
class. This is a first grade class at the end of the
day and when I tell them to "put away their markers
and crayons" they think this means to get out of their
seats and run around the room and goof off. I know I
need to reteach them the procedures for clean up.
Should I do this at the beginning of the class when
they are calm or at the end of the period when we are
ready to pack up? Does anyone have any tips for
managing and teaching clean up procedures to little
ones? Thanks in advance! Marcia