Re: [teacherartexchange] What to order for papermaking?

---------

From: Peggy Woolsey (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 12 2005 - 06:17:06 PDT

Hi Sue,
I used to divide class into groups: water people(get water for slurry,
keep blender supplied, mop up spills etc.) , plant people (cut up plant
material, cut up linters, separate piles, take stuff to blender etc),
blender people (must be really reliable, receive training otherwise
blenders burn out), and hammer people (these usually boys, send them
outside to hammer plants ((helps separate cellulose from plant
material). There is also a hand-out with notes and a question sheet for
anyone who is stalled or idling. Everyone got a turn to pull the sheets
and couch them (I had about 4 screens and two slurries). Couching took
place on a board which after many layers of papers and blankets, I
could easily pick up and move when the next class was coming. The
process is a bit wild at first, but comes together. Don't forget to
have kids write their names on masking tape to stick near papers or
ownership will be completely lost.
Peggy