[teacherartexchange] educating adults from within a museum?

---------

From: miss frances (difazio_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 12 2005 - 05:13:56 PDT

Hello!

I have recently begun a post at my local art gallery within their Education
& Outreach team. Currently, they have fantastic provisions for education
within schools and colleges and have a number of successful projects
continually on the go. They also do fantastic outreach work with local bme
minority groups.

What I would like to begin to do is both education and outreach work with
adults from other backgrounds - for example previous work I have focused on
working closely with a mental health charity. My only problem is this
intial approach. It would be easy for me to home in on another "group" -
e.g. mental health / rehabilitation / healthcare users - but what my manager
would initially like to see me doing is offering "open access" style
workshops where we will advertise a session and the general public can come
along if they want to. My concern is that this mgiht be a little too broad,
and won't particularly cater to anyone's needs. We have a reasonably well
stocked computer suite which was designed to be used as an animation suite,
so we also have various digital cameras, camcorders and animation and
manipulation software. I think she is thinking of offering a "this is how
you use a scanner" style workshop, but I feel unsure of how well this will
be received.

Argh! I keep over-thinking things and maybe what I actually need to do is
worry less, organise activities, and if no one comes then rethink and start
again. I guess I am wondering if anyone here has been placed in a similar
situation - it seems a lot of you are teaching in schools as opposed to
alternative settings. Are there any museum educators on here?

Thanks for letting me waffle!

Adrienne