Re: [teacherartexchange] sighting high school

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 10 2005 - 16:05:59 PDT

I have done an assignment that really explains it to the kids, but they don't like it and it's not exciting--they usually find it difficult--outside our building is a ramp with railing that turns 3 or 4 times up the ramp, around a landing area and attaches to the building. I have them sit on the ground and draw it using sighting of angles. I have them sketch it first the way they normally would, then sight it. They really learn to look at angles and negative shapes.

>>> loveart@hotmail.com 09/10/05 7:41 AM >>>
I teach high school drawing. I need a better lesson for sighting. Does
anyone have a good lesson that also produces a nice product? I have tried
small still life objects on the table, wood blocks, wood sticks, short
exercises, and hallway line drawing. Any suggestions for something a little
bit more fun, which also teaches the necessary skills of sighting angle,
proportion, placement and size relationships? I can teach all these things
but the end result is never very exciting to look at, and the students seem
to forget all of it as soon as we move on to something else. Any help?
Thank you!
Pam Wellington
Art Dept. Chair
Boiling Springs High School, Pennsylvania