Re: [teacherartexchange] Need help with Kinder

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 15:07:55 PDT

Kinders are 5 year olds who may or may not have picked up scissors and cut
before. They may or may not have painted before. They are developing both
their large and fine motor skills, learning social skills, learning how to
behave properly in different situations. Therefore, I truely believe it is
unfair and unrealistic to believe that these same 5 year olds should be
expected to already know how to properly use a paintbrush without
splattering their neighbor or messing up the paint. I never try to do a
"real" project with my kinders before Christmas. My 1st semester lessons
focus on teaching them the basics. SO if you are looking for confirmation
that your feeling the need to teach them these skills is realistic then you
have my support.

~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids