RE: [teacherartexchange] Need help with Kinder

---------

From: familyerickson (familyerickson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 14:48:17 PDT

Hi Sue,
I teach in a private school with high expectations. This is what is
working for me with kinders:
I do spend time teaching the basic procedures and techniques. I also
combine lessons so that we come up with an impressive product. For
example: last week we drew shells and learned how to use line in a rhythmic,
repetetive way to make the wavy lines inside the shells. I cut those out
and put them in envelopes with their name on them. This week we are going
to draw a large turtle on watercolor paper with sharpie markers. We will
work on shapes(ovals for body, rectangles for legs, triangle for tail) We
will then divide the turtle shell into divisions and do a color pattern of
their choice with crayons (green, blue, green blue) etc. Next week we
will divide the paper into water and sky and learn to do 2 different colors
of blue with watercolors-mixing one color for water and a different blue for
the sky. The next week we will glue on the shells and maybe some cut paper
green water plants. I then attach a note to the parents explaining all the
different concepts we have been working on. My parents tell me they really
appreciate this because even if the kinder work looks messy or scribbly,
they can tell from my note what we were covering and that we aren't "just
coloring".
I agree with Betsy re: dividing up the time. If I had 55 minutes I would
spend 10 minutes going over a skill, then distribute supplies (2 min.)to
give them a few action moments(get em up and moving), then maybe 8 minutes
of lesson intro information, 18-20 minutes of actual production art time, 5
minutes of clean up instruction/demonstration, 10 minutes for clean-up and 2
minutes of "cool-down" time.
Hope this helps,
Cindy