Re: [teacherartexchange] Need help with Kinder

---------

From: Rick Larson (jrlarson51_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 14:11:38 PDT

Sue, in the first few weeks, I do do some painting, with K's, but I keep it
simple, knowing they will finish up in about 10 min. But then they have to
do the clean up. I do demo brush cleaning, swishing in the water bucket- how
to hold a hand under the brush when carrying it to the sink,, washing the
brush- washing hands , putting the brush away, EVERYTHING. Those who do this
easily then go to the drawing box, to get a pc. of paper for freedraw, or
color sheet related to our project. Last week we did a blanket design using
lines ( zig-zag, dotted and straight) they colored with water crayons, and
then used brushes with water to go over the water crayon design. The next
week, we did thick and thin lines with tempera.(only two colors) The first
week allowed me to intro the basics of painting, and the 2nd lesson allowed
me to 'fine tune' the specific clean-up procedures. I like to get them
painting right away, so that in the following years, clean-up is easy. If
Everyone cleans up and there is still time left, I will review, or do uncle
fred on the tv/computer, or read a story related to art.
Betsy-
The secret is to divide it into segments, and always have a back-up. Prep
is critical with kinders..