[teacherartexchange] Need help with Kinder

---------

From: Sue Cosgrove (CosgrovS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 13:32:34 PDT

I have just started a new position of K-4th grade art. I need advice about the kinder students. Prior to working here I taught in Fort Worth in the inner city. I taught at three school and was completely on the cart. I only taught kinder 1 day a week for 20 minutes. In my new postion I see a new group of kinders each day for 55 miniutes each week. Plus they come to my room. I am severely overwhelmed. In my former postion I did simple "draw what I draw" lessons with them. Here I need to come up with weekly lessons for 55 minutes each week. I have great lessons covering the elements and principals. But I am faced with children that do not know even how to get out supplies and put them away let alone use them. I have gone from a poor district to a wealthy one. The expectations are very high. I have been told that kinder is the time to teach proceedures and techniques? I don't really need project ideas. I guess I am looking for "permission" to spend a class teaching simple things like how to dip
 your brush into paint and not mix it with the other colors and simple concepts like that. Does anyone have a kinder program that is realy working for them? I would love to hear from you.

Sue Cosgrove
Art Teacher
Carroll Elementary School
817-949-4353