[teacherartexchange] For those of you near Houston - How to get involved

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 10:06:04 PDT

Dear TeacherArtExchange Members,

Dawn was not able to get her post through. Maybe by the time she sees
this, she will be able to post to Getty list and can answer questions
you might have.

From Dawn:

For anyone in Houston interested in helping in an artful way, there is
a CACCH (Cultural Arts Council Houston) meeting at Stages (on Allen
Parkway) tomorrow (Friday) at 4-5.

I am working with a group that is going through the channels to try to
develop a series of art activities for young and old (and maybe
in-betweeners) that will take place over the duration of people's stay
in local shelters. If anyone is interested in joining in or joining
forces, please let me know (Dawn dartedialogue@yahoo.com).

I am also involved in planning an art auction and art activities for
an upcoming fundraiser on October 8. The proceeds of the art auction
are slated to go to displaced artists; other proceeds will go to the
Red Cross.

There are several artists from LA who have been set up at a local
space called Commerce Street Artist warehouse and we are currently
trying to gather up supplies we can give to them.
Dawn, Crayola has a list of activities you might want to look at:
http://www.crayola.com/helpingkids/index.cfm?mt=stat_helpingkids

If you are looking for donations from Crayola for your efforts, you
will need to go through Gifts in Kind. There is no need for you to
spend time contacting Crayola as they have their involvement on their
site:
http://www.binney-smith.com/page.cfm?id=17
"Direct funding and product donations are limited to non-profit
organizations in Lehigh and Northampton Counties in Pennsylvania,
along with the cities of Kutztown, Pa. and Phillipsburg, N.J."

I have already spoken with Sax, too. They are making large
contributions to American Red Cross and Salvation Army:
http://www.saxarts.com/
Sax will give you free shipping on art supplies you order for
humanitarian efforts (ask for Mary Riley)

If you are looking for donations of art supplies for your service
project, your best bet would be to contact area businesses in your
community.

If you need funds to purchase art supplies for your project, let me
know and I will try to pair you up with other art teachers who want to
help (but don't have evacuees in their area or the opportunity to
travel to locations where there are evacuees).

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/