Re: [teacherartexchange] Hurricane Victim Aid Project

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 19:47:08 PDT

We are doing the health kits on www.umcor.com site.
They are small and simple and inexpensive to make,
their ongoing volunteers keep a warehouse
(coincidentally in Louisiana) stocked with these and
other disaster kits so they are in trucks and ready to
go even before things hit - but for this one they will
need way more, obviously. UMCOR is focusing their
immediate efforts on remote and outlying areas where
people may get bypassed by relief supplies. Around
here we know from experience that they are the last to
leave a disaster. They were in the OKC area for about
three years following our '99 tornadoes - rebuilding
houses and providing ongoing counseling. And not a
dime of designated disaster giving goes to
administrative costs. (The Red Cross left after two
months in the town where I volunteered)