Re: [teacherartexchange] Abundance

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 03 2005 - 19:10:39 PDT

I am assuming from your wording that another teacher uses this classroom for
other art classes? If so, how many students are put into those classes? If
the other teacher has a maximum number of students allowed in the class,
then your numbers should be comparable. In my situation I have found that
the teachers who don't stand up to the counselor and allow him to put
excessive numbers of students in their classes continuously get more and
more students. I finally told my counselor that I absolutely could not,
would not take over a certain number of students. While I hate turning kids
away I have found that a) it is not fair to students to have so many
students sharing your time that you cannot help them and b) it made my class
more desirable for those students who really want to be there. However,
numbers can be relevant to the kinds of students you have. A class of 12
ill-behaved students can be harder to teach than a class of 28
self-motivated learners. So I work closely with my counselor to review the
"real" numbers. I had one class a couple years ago that I closed at 12
because of the kind of kids that were there, but the next class did have 28,
and they were a delight to work with. Physical conditions must be taken into
account as well - if your classroom cannot hold more than 24, then when a
new student walks into your already full class then send them back to the
counselor. Do you have an active NEA organization in your building? Check
with them to see if they can do anything for you. If the matter cannot be
resolved between you and the counselor then discuss your concerns with your
building principal.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids