Re: [teacherartexchange] Abundance

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 03 2005 - 19:00:55 PDT

Diane,
        I certainly would work with counselors first. I used to
bring the male counselor frozen catfish fillets. I brought the
lady candy and made signs and decorations for her. I set my room
to seat 24 and went to the counselors when I hit 23. I developed
a close relationship with my principals as well. But I still say
nothing beats going to the top. I developed a working relationship
with our superintendents. So much so that new principals would
tell me "your friend the superintendent is here" when we had a
school visit. As for the school board, change them. Nothing works
better that electing a new board. We did it. Teachers can walk
door to door and get out the votes needed cause so few voters
turn out in those elections. Try all avenues, and be assertive.
Action gets results. Yes I am idealistic, but I've seen it done.
I had reasonable class sizes most of my years in teaching.
Too many art teachers just complain, put up with it or quit.
It can be corrected but it takes hard, consistent work.
                                        Woody