Re: [teacherartexchange] Abundance

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 03 2005 - 15:54:25 PDT

Diane C. Gregory wrote:

> Have you had a heart to heart conversation with the guidance folks? Are you
> possibly getting a lot of "at risk" students? If you get no cooperation from
> administration or the counseling folks, and you are having trouble managing the
> class, one tactic that might work is to give a hard test so that some students
> will go to the counselor and change the class themselves.

There must be other solutions rather than giving students work they
can't handle. Isn't this what we complain that NCLB is doing ? NCLB
requires special ed students who read well below grade level to be
tested at grade/age level. This is mean spirited and counter productive.
We need to take the students where they are and help them improve
and grow. I taught in a Middle School where a major portion of the
students were "at risk". They were great kids and really wanted to
learn. Please don't kick them out. Go to the school board with your
concerns. They usually see the stats that are presented to them and
assume that a class size average of 23.5 mean that the numbers you
really have. That photos and rosters to the school board meeting.
Take parents with you. Things will change. Local school officials
will treat you differently when they know you stand up for the kids.
                                        Woody

--
	Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
		mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net