[teacherartexchange] more on why you cook plant fibres

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 02 2005 - 02:30:54 PDT

We do hand made papers as well. Iris leaves are some of the strongest
fibers. In my book on preparing them it says cooking also has a chemical
change that softens the fiber. I think I used baking soda with them. I can
look it up. It worked but what a smell whilst cooking.
We have been back all week but Ihad my first day with ALL OF THEM yesterday
Oh, my..goodness... I have been up since four am preparing... Randy in Maine