Re: [teacherartexchange] pinwheel problems

---------

From: Ann Ayers (art304_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 18:35:52 PDT

> Problem #1: Hard clay soil. I broke my 1/4" dowel shoving the
> pinwheel into
> garden soil this morning!!! I was so careful, but it still broke.
> And the kids
> will not all be able to use the garden. They will need to insert
> the dowels into
> the grassy edge of the driveway. Any advice on this?
If you use a pencil sharpener to sharpen the end of your dowel, it
will go into the soil easier. Also, if the soil is wet, it goes in
easier as well.

> Problem #2: drilling the dowels partway, nailing in the nail. I
> have 600
> elementary kids!

We use pushpins or straight pins to attach the pinwheels to the sticks.

Some people are using straws (heavy duty ones from McDonalds or 7-11)
as the stick.

Another idea would be to attach the pinwheel to a straw and then put
the straw on top of the dowel (or pencil).

ann

http://www.pinwheelsforpeace.com