Re: [teacherartexchange] Handmade Paper with plant inclusions

---------

From: Ray Leal (rayleal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 16:57:27 PDT

I have been wondering- when I teach Egyptian Art to my 6th graders, we
talk about papyrus being thin layers of papyrus layered and pounded
together and we look at a sheet of it. I would like to take some plant
(I don't have papyrus) with a similar stem and slice it thin, layer it
and have the kids pound it and try to make a sheet of papyrus-like
paper. Has anyone done anything like this? I suppose it would be a good
learning investigation anyway, but I'd just like to know if you've
tried it and what happened.
Thanks-
Heather