power point

---------

From: San D (kprs_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 17:13:04 PDT

Do you combine the computer into your art classes?

As my personal PIP (Personal Improvement Plan) for this year, I vowed to
discover how to do power point. (Not the kind with wipes, and fancy dodads,
but the straight up, show slides and notes kind) I am addicted. Oh my Gosh.
There is so much I can do, and this is even before I learn what the bells
and whistles can do!. My AP Art History is going much better than the years
I fumbled with two art projectors. I can project two images side by side at
one time. Who knew?? (can you tell I'm just amazed at technology? I'm still
trying to figure out how cell phones work without wires). For my advanced
art class, I am teaching underpainting. I went online to google images and
picked out a gazillion examples to show them. And lo! and behold! my
students are underpainting! again, who knew????

The flip side is that Santa bought me the laptop (Sony Vaio) and I bought
the projector (5 easypayments on Home shopping, ha!) My school is still
hasn't figured out that if they put the daily missives in emails instead of
the pounds of paper of notes in our mailbox they will be in the 21st
century. So of course they only have 2 projectors for 100 teachers, and they
have been sequestered by the Physics and History teacher...AP Art History is
the orphan.

Bottom line, love the computer/projector...but am not dependent on it...we
still do handson, but when words get in the way and a picture/example will
do...powerpoint to the rescue!

San D

---