Re: Foil Tooling - Ancient Cultures (middle school)

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:24:06 PDT

Judy, I would be very interested in hearing more about your foil boxes.
I keep trying to find the perfect box that is small enough to fit into
our drawers but would hold the work for my jewelry students. We already
make a little sketchbook for designs, etc. out of tooled foil and I
would love info on making a box to put it all in. Sid

>>> jdecker4art@yahoo.com 09/29/2004 6:57:07 AM >>>
Greetings all,

Thank you for your kind words, Brenda.

Foil tooling is a medium that bridges many ancient
cultures... I have done it with Native American -
Incan/pre-Columbian - African (Nigerian/Benin) -
Egyptian - and Middle East. I have a foil tooled box
for Middle East that I will photograph some day. I
will only write up the plan then if someone wants to
try it. I would even send you snail mail templates to
get you started thinking. I was thinking about
bringing the project back as a mummy case with 6th
grade to house a Ushabti figure. I might still try
that myself. My Ushabti servant figures (Egyptian
paste)were supposed to clean my house for me - they
sure haven't done a good job (grin).... Which reminds
me - I have a gift for anyone doing Egypt this year
(K-8)

My sample box is one that I did - but believe me - the
kids did a BETTER job. My students work was better
than mine most of the time. I guess after so many
years at one level you get yourself used to working at
their level (smile).

Regards,

Judy Decker

=====