Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Foil Tooling - Ancient Cultures (middle school)

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 06:57:07 PDT

Greetings all,

Thank you for your kind words, Brenda.

Foil tooling is a medium that bridges many ancient
cultures... I have done it with Native American -
Incan/pre-Columbian - African (Nigerian/Benin) -
Egyptian - and Middle East. I have a foil tooled box
for Middle East that I will photograph some day. I
will only write up the plan then if someone wants to
try it. I would even send you snail mail templates to
get you started thinking. I was thinking about
bringing the project back as a mummy case with 6th
grade to house a Ushabti figure. I might still try
that myself. My Ushabti servant figures (Egyptian
paste)were supposed to clean my house for me - they
sure haven't done a good job (grin).... Which reminds
me - I have a gift for anyone doing Egypt this year

My sample box is one that I did - but believe me - the
kids did a BETTER job. My students work was better
than mine most of the time. I guess after so many
years at one level you get yourself used to working at
their level (smile).

Judy Decker

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department