Re: motivation in the inner city

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 13:48:13 PDT

Jackie Said:
Our school is predominantly hispanics and blacks. Many of our students
are constantly moving, or have not desire for the arts, yet are placed
in art because of graduation requirements. I totaled grades today, 51
out of 117 failed. Now this is based on poor attendance, not finishing
work, sleeping in class, etc. I gave all sorts of extra ways to get
that "extra 100 test grade".

I know I need to relate it more to them to be meaningful. We were doing
perspective. I gave choice of doing own name in 3pt or any pt. How
more meaningful can you get it.
We have not finished the elements and principles. How can I make it
more meaningful. I am hoping once I do the final project grade, it will
help with the failures.

Jackie,
        Try names in Old English or in some sort of Graffiti Style. Try getting
them to deal with anger
and hate in their paintings. Teenage motherhood might be a subject that
will grab them. When tragedy
strikes in the community (death) try dealing with the grief through
their art. I always found that my
inner city students had so much more, soul, feelings, heart, etc. that
kids in the safe and secure
burbs. Deal with their real world in their art and the elements and
principles will have a need to
be used. Bring in blacks and hispanics, artists and others, to talk to
the students. Just a few suggestions.
                                        Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons