symbolic butterfly migration (& shaving cream!)

---------

From: dkj (jouets_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 03:08:21 PDT

Happened upon this project while looking for information on monarch butterfly migration...
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/fall2004/symbolic/index.html
I had second grades do very large butterflies cut out of 18x24 black paper with symmetrical color patterns made by squirting directly onto the paper out of squeeze bottles and folding. Now I think I'll have them do a small butterfly for this project ... a shaving cream print, of course! I used shaving cream prints to make CD tops a year or two ago... that was fun, too... (CDs, paper circles [hole punched middle], a foam sticker over the hole with a small round plastic bead, and a couple more foam stickers to make the handle... made very good tops!) That was the day the principal came through with a group of visitors from Japan... It was great because EVERYONE was excited and engaged! Did shaving cream tops with grades 1/2, and in grades 4/5 we did tops in association with an op art unit. Can't wait to try a starry night or winter scene!
Oh, on this site there is also a page with lots of different butterfly ideas... my favorite was the child photographed as the butterflies body, with arms held high like antennas, cut out and glued onto the wings.
Deborah

---