Re: motivation

---------

From: K A (arizkma_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 19:46:17 PDT

Before becoming an art teacher, I worked in an inner city school with a standards based report card. That totally changed my view of grading. On that type of a grading system, students are only graded on what they do. We were not allowed to grade down for poor attendance or unfinished work. We had to grade on their ability to meet the standards on the work that was handed in. Did they grasp the concepts or not? I understand that districts, schools and so forth are different, but just some food for thought.

~ Kathleen

I totalled grades today, 51 out of 117 failed. Now this is based on poor attendance, not finishing work, sleeping in class, etc. I gave all sorts of extra ways to get that "extra 100 test grade".