Re: motivation / urban schools

---------

From: Lorene McIntosh (Lorene_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 18:34:44 PDT

I teach in a remote area with a high percentage of kids with special needs
and kids who just donıt care about school. Many or most of them will work
in logging here and will be making a lot more money than I will as a
teacher. But when I get the ³How is Algebra going to help me?² or ³Iım not
going to be an Artist² questions I try to show them that they are learning
to see things in different and new ways. They are learning to solve
problems and the assignment/problem can be solved in many ways. I try to
appeal to their desire for independence and try to show them that this is a
way they can have some freedom which is also what they want. Sometimes it
helps. Good luck.

--
Lorene McIntosh
in the Minnesota northwoods on the
On 9/27/04 7:36 PM, "Aust ArtClasses" <austart@bryanisd.org> wrote:
> I have worked for 19 years in poverty social schools.  This is the first year
> I can not catch them, hook them, motivate them.  I have read the Ruby Payne
> book.  How do you explain how the principles and elements relate to their
> lives directly.  It is kind of like.'' How is Algebra going to help me in the
> future"
>
> Jackie Brewer (Aust)
> Bryan High School
> Bryan Texas 77802