Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: motivation / urban schools

From: Lorene McIntosh (Lorene_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 18:34:44 PDT

I teach in a remote area with a high percentage of kids with special needs
and kids who just donıt care about school. Many or most of them will work
in logging here and will be making a lot more money than I will as a
teacher. But when I get the ³How is Algebra going to help me?² or ³Iım not
going to be an Artist² questions I try to show them that they are learning
to see things in different and new ways. They are learning to solve
problems and the assignment/problem can be solved in many ways. I try to
appeal to their desire for independence and try to show them that this is a
way they can have some freedom which is also what they want. Sometimes it
helps. Good luck.

Lorene McIntosh
in the Minnesota northwoods on the
beautiful Rainy River border with Canada