Re: motivation

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (eheisey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 16:16:38 PDT

I just have to say, Jackie, that from the comments and questions you
have contributed to this list over the years, that you run a quality
program, and there is only so much that could possibly be 'your
problem,' if you know what I mean. Possibly a message is going out to
the rest of the student body that the art teacher is raising the
standard. That would be valuable for me.
I have to share about an artist (4 or 5 slides) every day to maintain
my students' respect. They love to wonder about why the artist did what
he did. They hunger for it. It keeps us talking about good stuff for
awhile every day.
Years ago my cooperating teacher told me it was okay to drop a lesson
if it just wasn't working.
Beth

On Sep 27, 2004, at 6:45 PM, Aust ArtClasses wrote:

> Our school is predominantly hispanics and blacks.  Many of our
> students are constatly moving, or have not desire for the arts, yet
> are placed in art because of graduation requirements.  I totalled
> grades today, 51 out of 117 failed.  Now this is based on poor
> attendance, not finishing work, sleeping in class, etc.  I gave all
> sorts of extra ways to get that "extra 100 test grade".
>
> I know I need to relate it more to them to be meaningful.  We were
> doing perspective.  I gave choice of doing own name in 3pt or any pt.
>  How more meaningful can you get it.
>  We have not finsihed the elements and principles.  How can I make it
> more meaningful.  I am hoping once I do the final project grade, it
> will help with the failures.
>
> Jackie Brewer (Aust)
> Bryan High School
> Bryan Texas 77802