Re: Liquid Starch Uses

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 06:09:50 PDT

We successfully used liquid starch to make masks from cut up T-shirts, just
like paper mache. The designs on the T-shirts made great masks. One boy with
Down's did an awesome mask with an OSU T-shirt that included the mascot. He
decided it was alive, called it "Dude" and had to come pat it and tell it
good night every day.

It worked great with muslin and cheesecloth for very dramatic and mysterious
masks.

I dislike the mask forms available, mostly because the features are so
shallow and I needed more depth for the muslin to really work so made three
faces out of clay they were able to use (wrapped in a plastic bag because I
don't have a kiln) and will make more this year.

---