Madeline's question- why I became an art teacher

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 19:39:10 PDT

Hello, Madeline!
I had wanted to be a teacher since I was very, very young. I remember teachers
giving me leftover dittos to take home and play school with. My dad even built
me a "classroom" in my closet, complete with a chalkboard and bulletin board,
which I decorated every month. I also had always enjoyed drawing, painting,
creating art. Sometime during my high school years, I figured out that I could
do both! LOL. I am the only one of all my friends who declared a major as a
freshman and stuck with it. Today, I teach elementary art and could not be
happier. In what other job would I get paid to play all day? And that is
exactly what it feels like to me- pure fun. I enjoy the process of learning
and changing my teaching methods- I love trying new things. I am now in my
tenth year of teaching and I am slowly turning my interests more and more in
the direction of advocacy and leadership in arts education. I am the Northwest
Ohio Education Association Regional Director and have learned so much through
volunteering for this leadership role. I have a year and a half left in this
position and am already thinking ahead to what i will do next for my
association- all in the hopes of advancing arts education.

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

>===== Original Message From Madeline Fersko <maddy74@hotmail.com> =====
>I know this is a very general question..but I was curious if those of you
>who are art educators in schools could tell me about some of the reasons you
>enjoy your jobs? And why you decided to go into art education.
>
>thanks
>madeline

---