RE: open house

---------

lava5000_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 12:38:08 PDT

We just had our first Student Led Conference as our open house. I had all of my students make a goal for their art class, and steps to achieve their goal. I found a graphic from www.edhelper.com , or you can make your own. Parents signed in as soon as they came into the classroom, and students got their portfolio and notebook out of their shelves. Students then went over the following script and their goals for art with their parents.

<sum> Welcome to my Art classroom, thank you for being here. (Introduce parents to teacher)

<sum> The purpose of this conference is to talk to you about my goals as an art student.

<sum> I am expected to keep a three ring binder which is used as my notebook, journal, and sketchbook. (Show your binder along with the bell work and vocabulary section.) (If you do not have your binder explain that you have not been prepared for class.)

<sum> We also have a portfolio which will hold all of my work in art class. This will be used as a record of my progress as an art student. All of my work will be kept at school until the end of the year. My portfolio will help you see how I have grown as a problem solver, and creative and critical thinker.

<sum> I would like to share with you my goals as an art student, and the steps that I will take to help me achieve this goal. (Show your goals & explain)

<sum> Thank you for coming to this conference. Do you have any questions?

(If time permits, share your Greek Vase and portfolio design with your parents. Discuss objectives and new vocabulary used.)

The open house put the students in charge of learning goals.

Lauren