Re: Help! My Oaxacan animal has termites!

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 25 2004 - 20:16:56 PDT

My post got bounced for some reason so others have said the same
solution already.
I think it is possibly a Powder Post Beetle or some similar insect
because termites don't live in open holes. They make tunnels to
protect themselves from light. That is neither here nor there. It is
eating your wood no matter what it calls itself in the science book ;<)

I remember that I put mine in a big ZipLock and put it in the freezer.
Didn't have another problem and it has sat in my house or the classroom
for over 10 years.

The Freezer solution will at least slow him down until you can hear
from Stevie. Putting in plastic and into garbage sounds worry some if
they are indistructable then when the plastic bag breaks down they will
be free to eat their way through the land fill and move on to eat up
the whole of the continent ;<)

Sharon ~ NJ
Good luck getting rid.

On Saturday, September 25, 2004, at 02:31 PM, Judy Nagel wrote:
> Denise, I have forwarded your comments to Stevie Mack at Crizmac. I
> know this is something she will want to know. Unless I miss my guess,
> she will be in touch. Judy Nagel jdnag@elknet.net
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "cen_aca_dp"
> <cen_aca_dp@nwoca.org>
> Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 8:23 AM Subject: Help! My Oaxacan
> animal has termites!
>> I recently bought a jackrabbit wood carving made by Zeny Fuentes from
>> Crzmac.
>> It is beautiful! I noticed that after a few days of it sitting on my
>> shelf, it had "expelled" little piles of sawdust. I saw tiny holes
>> and thought maybe that they were intentionally drilled and the
>> sculpture was simply "weeeping" the sawdust. (Why I thought this is
>> beyond me. I have another sculpture and it
>> didn't do this.) Today, I noticed more piles of sawdust and lifted it
>> to look.

---