Grandmothers Club

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 25 2004 - 20:08:12 PDT

I picked up an idea when I drove into the mountains to paint
this morning. It was an old mining town called Madrid, pronounced
"Mad-rid". In one gallery were photos of preteen girls (about 12)
with their self-portraits. In the photos they had done drawings
of themselves (about 12"x18") then they taped the portraits to
a window with an overlapping sheet. Next they traced over the
original drawing making the new one as they thought they would
look when they were grandmothers. The teachers drawings were
displayed to provide an example. Also it seems they had a real
grandma visit the class for motivation. One with lots of wrinkles.
Those age lines that Frani doesn't have yet. Each girl did two grandma
drawings, one happy and one with an attitude. I didn't take notes
since I'm not teaching now but I wanted to relate this to others
while it was fresh in my mind. I thought it was a well thought out
lesson that should be utilized.

Triplet stories:
        While I was painting, each of my triplet grandkids called on the
cell phone. (They turn six on Tuesday) They really didn't appreciate
that they couldn't talk to Grandma since she was back in
Albuquerque. Tiffanie learned a new trick. She can snap her
fingers. She snapped them at her Mother and said, "do it now."
You can imagine how well that went over. Tim is sorta happy with
the scorpion (under plastic) I send him. But he wanted a Tarantula.
I had to swerve the car twice to miss Tarantulas on desert roads
today. Tim doesn't understand why Poppie didn't stop and pick one
up for him. Tess has learned to change her voice and loves to call
pretending to be her Daddy (my son). She is having a ball with her
new found talent.
                        Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons