Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Music in the Artroom

From: Carolyn Roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 20:35:16 PDT

MessageThis has to do with being a "visual learner" and not being an "aural learner". I have to doodle to stay focused...I do this with my students when I'm showing a video and know that they will fall asleep...since "I've been there...done that!" I give them a sheet of questions or fill in the blank...and they have to listen to catch the "fill in words". It's like they are being able to participate more interactively with the video. I don't even mind when they share answers. They are much more alert and they retain much more info. It will work on approximately 90% of the students...some don't care and fall asleep no matter what. I think it's a "sign of the times"...too many late nights".

  Heather, I have to agree with you, I doodle to to keep focused at meetings or class. Can't say I have any research though to back it up.
     Heather wrote:

    Is that really true? I doodle constantly when I am in meetings and such, and I always did when I had lecture classes/ discussion classes in college too- I find I am better focused when I am doodling, and if I don't have a pencil and paper then my mind really starts to wander.
    I think- but I don't have any research- that doodling is really different than serious "right brain zone" drawing somehow. Does anyone have any real research type info on it?