Fran - more on Drums.....and cultures (Apache drums)

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 14:47:19 PDT

Greetings Fran,

I can't seem to get drums out of my head
(smile)-thanks to Maggie White now. In my Native
American post I didn't specify which culture would be
offended if you tried to make their drums (on
purpose).... I will tell you off list if you request.

Maggie White sent me a "goodie". Apache Drums are big
speckled blue & white kettles. While I could not find
an "official" Apache drum - I found two choices for
you (books might be a better source for an Apache
visual) - These two are images of the pots (My
apologies to any Apache who finds this post. I mean no
disrespect)
http://store1.yimg.com/I/sepharus-store_1810_5583771
http://pages.tias.com/8899/PictPage/1921431950.html
Maggie "speaks" on authority as she taught on an
Apache Indian reservation for many years.

So....in doing your research- remember to narrow down
to the specific ethnic group and not just country. Try
to find out the group who made the drums that you
purchase. From our conversation, it sounds like the
principal is doing the research?

Judy Decker