RE: Ceramics program

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 09:41:09 PDT

Congrats! I finally got a kiln 3 years ago when we moved into our new
state-funded elementary school. I had no idea that the kiln came with NOTHING,
so I have learned by trial and error over the last few years.
What I have used thus far with K-5:
* kiln shelves- order at least one set of half- shelves also.
* kiln wash- paint the shelves so glaze doesn't stick
* Posts of all sizes- at least 4 per shelf
* Stilts to use with glazed pieces that need an all-over glaze application
* clay tools- lots of found objects work well, but you can get cheap sets for
elem, They will break some, so don't spend a ton!
* Waxed paper to work on- I have found that this is great for making slabs on-
peels right off the clay
* Straws make excellent holes for hanging (school sized straws even better!)
* Glazes- make sure they are lead free. Get some clear to use over the
underglazes. I use mostly Mayco:
   Stroke and Coat for solid colors, Astro Gems, Crystalites, and Crackles are
   good ones- nice textures and colors
http://www.maycocolors.com/
* I use tapestry needle for cutting shapes out of clay- cuts like butter.
* warecart & drying cabinet are wonderful, but I know some schools cannot
afford them

Here are a few projects I have done with my elem. students:
Pre-K- pinch pots
K- coil pots
1- Clay vases with slab fronts and cylinders attached to back
2- Clay houses
3- Metepec Clay suns
4- Organic vases, coasters, bird votive holders, button bowls, fish dish
5- Slab boxes (never again!), clay tiles with black paint and Rub & Buff,
windchimes hung from twigs, Lantern house (votive holder- roof comes off)

Well, I have written a novel- I hope it helps in some way. :)

Denise Pannell
Dfiance, OH

P.S. I buck traditional belief and NEVER have the kids wedge the clay. A
potter told me that it wouldn't matter. Haven't lost a piece yet.

>===== Original Message From Fran Legman <flegman@comcast.net> =====
>Finally our new Skutt kiln was installed; the first day of school.
>I didn't order the supplies yet (I have none) because I've been waiting
>several years for the Kiln, and I needed to "see it to believe it" Does
>anyone have a list of supplies for me to start up with. We have 410
>children (K-5). I was hoping to do one project per class during the year.
>Ceramics is new to me! Thanks, Fran in NJ

---