world hypotheses and art criticism

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (eheisey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 12:49:46 PDT

Pepper's world hypotheses include Formism, Mechanism, Organicism and
Contextualism.
Are these what make the basis for different types of art criticism?
I am trying to differentiate from types of Art Theories, ie, Mimetic,
Formal, Expressive, Instrumental, etc.
I have Marilyn Stewart's book on Aesthetics, and an NAEA publication by
Jim Cromer on Criticism.
I understand how your selected art theory would determine much of your
approach to criticism.
But I am trying to see how criticism is different from theory. Is it
some combination of the above? Is it based on these 'world hypotheses?
Maybe someone could give me a couple clues to get me on the right track.
Thanks, I know this is a lot to ask.
Beth H

---