Action Figure Mixed Media Collage - (Elementary -Middle School)

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 04:32:08 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Kathy Barger has submitted a favorite fifth grade
lesson - inspired by the work on Miriam Schapiro
(Canadian artist).
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/Kathy-Schapiro.htm
I have linked this lesson from Elementary Plans and
Middle School plans. Those of you who have Scholastic
Arts May 1993 will find a similar lesson for high
school students.

I want to try the techniques that the featured high
school artist did.... She made a surreal collage with
magazine and other papers - outlined shapes with glue
- and added some glue patterns in larger shapes. When
the glue was dry - she rubbed the collage with oil
paint stain which gave an antique look. The original
colors of the paper shows through the glue lines and
patterns giving depth to the composition.... If you
have the May '93 magazine - take a look. If anyone
tries the technique with kiddies for Surrealism - send
me a sample image for IAD. I just may make my own (My
collage portfoilio is one that disappeared at school -
so I don't have any of my samples to play with).

Enjoy Kathy's lesson - I have linked it froom
Elementary and Middle School lessons - and will link
it to my Sports Action Figure lesson, too. I just wish
I had remembered the magazine when I did my lesson.

Judy Decker

P.S. for World Art Teachers List.... I am not posting
as much to this list.... I am waiting to hear from
you. What are your needs? If any of you want my "web
wanderings" or words of wisdom (rambles) - sign up for
Art Education list, too (the list serve for Incredible
Art Department). I sign onto World List with a post or
two every now and then to say "hello" to my friends
Pascale and Luc in France and Pam in Hawaii. I know
there are many USA folks on World list, too.