Re: Student teacher

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 20 2004 - 20:24:44 PDT

Fran,

I have had two student teachers, two different universities. Both were
with me for a half a semester and then went on to another school, either
middle or high school. Fortunately, I was working with two very good
education departments and they made the young women write these lesson
plans that were definitely overkill! Practiclly speaking, if they ever
tried that when they were teaching that would be al that they got done!

I showed the STs my method of planning and they observed me for a couple
weeks. Then gradually each started taking over the classes until each
was responsible for all aspects in the art classroom. We planned
lessons together initially when the STs were starting to take over, then
after a couple weeks, the STs were totally on their own.

During this time, I critiqued everyday and we conferenced each day,
sometimes after each lesson. I really put it to my student teachers.
 Lesson plans, parent newsletters, activity drawer (free-time ideas) and
art stations, assessments and rubrics for each lesson, artful reading
instruction, displays, matting, lunch bunch art club, and a publication
ready for submission (article, photo and student examples) of one lesson
for a magazine like School Art.

I don't expect them to do anything that I don't or wouldn't do. I
figure I'm old enough to be their mom and I'm not doing them any favors
to let them slide by. They shouldn't want to be an art teacher, if they
think it is easy!

Sandy

---