Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Melted crayons

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 20 2004 - 12:44:58 PDT

I've seen people do this, but as a monoprint. They put tin foil on the
hot plate and colored on that and then pressed paper into the hot wax.
The designs were really cool, sort of decalomania type of stuff. You'd
have to draw into them. I don't think you'd be making any clear designs
with the crayons, just cool colored and textured blobs. Try it and see
how you could use it. Sid

>>> 09/18/2004 7:49:43 PM >>>
I was trying to do this lesson Thursday that I found:

 paper, crayons, warming plate, paper towels for cleaning warming
 The teacher will plug in the warming plate at the beginning of the
The teacher will tell the students to be careful around the warming
because it does get warm. Students will then take a sheet of paper and
place it on
the warming plate. Then students should use their peeled back crayons
to begin
to draw on their paper. The warming plate will melt the crayons as they
drawing, enabling the crayons to glide smoothly over the paper. The
crayon will
have a different appearance, more like paint, instead of what the
usually looks like when colored with.

Problem was, the paper started burning! Yes we were ventilating with
windows anyway.
I guess my warming plate is too hot. It is just an electric eye and I
put a
metal cookie sheet on top.
I wonder if I used a heavier cooking pan lined with foil if this would
I tried it in an electric skillet lined with foil and it worked.
I also tried putting water in it and melting crayons in a can and
treating it
as a double boiler but the warmer was incredibly hot and was boiling
crazy. The kids became nervous understandably.

My question is, can anyone think of a way to paint with melted crayons
where the crayon doesn't bunch up and make a messy glob? One 7th
grade boy did a
beautiful outline of a hammerhead in purple and indicated some seaweed
at the
bottom. Then we painted with Magic watercolors. He made the water
turquoise and the hammerhead purple and indicated orange coral, etc.
Then we
dropped Epsom salt on it and it was exquisite!
The others crashed and burned (literally)

I really like the paper in the electric skillet, the kids got a smooth
and I think there are many possibilities there. But I would need 10
or so for it to work for a class.

I have really exhausted all my thinking skills on this. Help!?!?