Re: I'm the teacher who was ready to quit! Here's an update...

---------

From: barb cicchelli (bcriverspirit_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 20 2004 - 10:27:22 PDT

Hang in there-that first year can be tough. The 2nd
year is MUCH better I always had assigned seats in
middle school. I also gave points for clean-up,
getting to work right away, bringing in needed
supplies(like newpapers, wood scraps etc-whatever you
need), good behavior etc. and the 30-60 students who
had the most points at the end of the year, I took on
an art related field trip. As corny as it sounds-have
a special sign for getting their attention-even if it
is raising your hand . I also assigned sketch books
with 2 required sketches a week (they could make their
own from my paper if need be) so always could work on
this if done early. I also had an after school art
club and we raised money with bake sales to by needed
supplies for special projects. Some classes just never
got to any of the Exciting projects like linoleum
printmaking etc. cuz they just couldn't handle the
movement-did a lot of drawing with them-shading,
pastels etc. Try not to lecture very much-keeps the
focus on them. Copper tooling was a favorite, pottery
for the better classes, screen printing, Whatever
project you do-have them do multiple planning sketches
first-even for clay-it really helps. Good luck.

---