Re: Student teacher

---------

From: lia (johnsolia_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 20:59:43 PDT

If you don't have guidelines provided you then I think you should work with
the student to get them to where they make and teach their own lessons that
you have seen and approved and discussed....and to where they do 100% of
the teaching by the last week of their term there. I firmly believe the
we should prepare student teachers for what is a very challenging
job. Split assignments would ideally be exactly like two regular
assignments. It is hard especially if you only see classes once a
week....but it is doable. I have seen it done well many times. Having
said all of that....different students progress differently...and I do
think doing in the spirit of leading is the way to go. Do these student
teachers have a supervisor in the arts you can call and collaborate about
this with? That would be helpful to you and possibly to them as well. ...lia

At 10:58 PM 9/19/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Do you have your student teacher write their own lessons or do you give them
>the lessons to teach? I've had one student teacher so far (who did her own
>lessons), but someone told me that some teachers give their student teachers
>the lesson plans. Also, my student teacher will be with me six weeks and
>then at the middle school six weeks. I teach 5-6 classes a day (K-5). How
>many classes (different grade levels) should they teach by the end of their
>six week? The

---