Re: Melted crayons

---------

From: Dale (dtsafdie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 19:55:59 PDT

I did crayon batik a couple of years ago with a large girl scout troop (pre-art teacher days). I am getting supplies together now (yard sale, etc) so I can do it with some of my art classes.

I used a muffin pan on top of a warming plate to melt crayon remnants. (I used the kind of warming plate used for serving at a buffet, not a hot plate meant to substitute for a stove.) The crayon is painted onto white fabric using the really cheap small craft brushes. The background is left unpainted. After the wax cools, crackle the fabric and place in a dark dye (I used navy). Once dyed, rinsed and dried, iron between newspapers to remove the wax. The colors of the crayon remain in the fabric.

I'm planning on setting up 4 stations that can be accessed from 2 sides so 8 students can paint the wax on at one time.

(a funny story about the crayons... I have two huge boxes of broken crayon pieces. II thought peeling paper off the crayons and sorting them into colors would be a task younger students could do after completing their project for the day. Several of the 2nd graders were very enthusiastic about helping with this and were making good progress. However, everytime I tried this a helpful child dumped all the sorted crayons back into the original box when I said it was time to clean up!)

Another idea, but I haven't tried it... The teacher demonstrated encaustic wax painting in a multimedia class I took. She used specially formulated colored wax for this but I was thinking that crayons might work for students. She made her encaustic art on boards with other elements added underneath and the wax built up on top. In some places she layered colors and then selectively removed or parts. She also melted the surface to create effects using a propane torch (definitely not a school activity!), but I am going to try a hairdryer to see if it does anything.

Dale in TN