I'm the teacher who was ready to quit! Here's an update...

---------

From: JMJ Smith (jmj_s_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 19:52:22 PDT

First of all, I am truly grateful to each and every one of you for taking the time to respond. Even though I don't know you personally, I thank God that I found you all. I really mean that from the bottom of my heart. When I typed my email asking for help, I felt so alone and did not want to return to my classroom. I thought I made a terrible mistake switching careers. Thanks to all of you, I'm not ready to give up yet.

Things went much better last week. I felt so much more prepared after reading and absorbing all of your emails. I took your advice and marched into my classroom like "Mrs. Hitler." I reviewed my class rules and expectations with my darling 8th graders. You could've heard a pin drop. I also told them how much I love art and will do whatever I can to help them. I was amazed that many of them seemed to really try harder after my speech. They were asking me for individual help. After class last Monday, three of my students said they had something for me. They bought me a card that said "We admire your work and think you are a great teacher..." It really did make me feel better (these were three of my "good" students). Things are far from perfect, but they are better and I'm not ready to quit yet. Thanks to all of you.

P.S. I also gave each student a project evaluation form to complete and turn in with their finished project. I told them this will be a requirement for each finished project. The kids seem to hate this but I love this idea! Oh, and I made an "I'm Done" Jar with drawing assignments they can choose from. THANK YOU ALL SOOOO MUCH!!!!