Ceramic Owls Lesson Plan - Grade One

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 13:00:48 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Jeryl Hollingsworth has heard the call for grade level
lesson plans. Each year her ceramic owls are a huge
hit. She has submitted her lesson plan to IAD:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/Jeryl-owl.htm

It is so easy to submit a lesson....all she did was
copy and paste into a email. I put it into this format
(and added a bit to it). My work on plans takes up to
four hours per lesson. I got this one done right away
since it fits into a current need (fall theme). I'll
add the adaptation for third grade soon - I'm thinking
- hump them up over a newspaper hump to make more 3-D
- Add a humped up slab (same size) for back side to
make a three dimensinal sculpture. Fuse together when
about leather hard. Kids who straggle behind can just
have a humped up owl (no back side). Mount with dowel
into wood base (or cut log base). I know third grade
can do this as I did fish the same way (fusing two
humps up slabs).

All lessons for Fall theme and Art of Mexico will done
right away and shared.

This is linked from Elementary Lessons. I'll get it
linked up to the ceramic ideas page, too -- and
science page.

Thanks for sharing Jeryl. I saw you had a good lesson
for Mondrian (almost identical to one I did). I am
thinking about doing "Songs in the Key of Art" theme
page (in the future) - and will include your Mondrian
lesson. For Mondrian, purchase Volume 2.

Judy Decker